From the article: What software do you use to create your personal website?
If you use a content management system (CMS) to make or maintain your personal website, please share with us and let us know what works for you! If there is software you just love, or software that really didn't work out well, let us know! Share With US!
No soft Ware used
- I pretty much just always use the dos editor, later, when I started useing windows, I started useing notepad, I did use one called CofeeCup, to help me learn more html, but it is easier and faster to write, in a plain text editor. from Garry http://www.garryspages.webs.com
Code by hand
- My MS is in Computer Software and Systems Design. My masters project was to create a web site to connect to a MySQL database to collect information for the CIS department. I was require to code the site by hand. Ever since then, that is the method I prefer. I use HTML Kit to do all my coding.
Modx & Wordpress
- I've tried Joomla, but like the other I find it to restrictive. Depending on the client and requirements I use either Modx or Wordpress. I've also hand-coded my own.
- —Guest VSHoward
- So far I've just coded everything myself, but I also found out that if I want to hand over maintenance, I have to write a CMS too. Especially after trying and liking wordpress and galery2, I'm much inclined to start trying to build a site with Drupal.
- —Guest Bazz
Drupal or Wordpress
- Wordpress is great for blogs. However, a website with more functionality just begs for Drupal. It can be a little intimidating at first, but once you browse through the menus at little, you really get a sense that you can do anything! I also tried Joomla, but didn't like it.
- —Guest Stan
- I have tried a couple of CMSs (Joomla, Drupal) and they seem to be a lot of trouble and very restrictive. I took them off and went back to hand coding. If I have to write the content, how is a CMS going to help?
- —Guest gdlx
My favorite CMS
- If it's truly personal, I'll use Blogger or some other pre-configured package. For small-group personal, I like Drupal. I like the flexibility and customization.